LYDIA - Interactive Bible Story

Acts 16:13-15

AT RISE: Group of women praying in one area. Paul and Silas start the skit in an opposite area.

Silas: Paul, today is Sunday. What are our plans? There is no synagogue in the city.

Paul: That's because according to Jewish law, a synagogue can only be formed wherever there are ten male heads of households who are in regular attendance. But I understand a group of ladies are meeting just outside the city by the river bank each week for prayer.

Silas: Are we going to join them?

Paul: Yes! This will also be a great opportunity to tell them more about Jesus and His ways.

Silas: I'm ready to go. Are you?

Paul: Yes. Let's head out.

(Paul and Silas walking...)

Silas: It's beautiful here, isn't it?

Paul: I love all the trees.

Silas: Is that the group over there?

Paul: Let's go see.

Silas: Looks like they are praying.

Paul: Excuse me. I'm sorry to bother you. I'm Paul. This is my friend, Silas.

Lydia: My name is Lydia. I am a saleswoman. I sell purple cloth. These are relatives of mine.

Paul: I am a minister of the Gospel and I was wondering if I could share with you ladies about Jesus.

Lydia: That would be great!

Lady # 1: Absolutely!

Lady # 2: We come here each week to recite prayers and read from the Law and Prophets.

Lady # 3: But we don't really understand much.

Lady # 4: I think we'd all like to hear what you have to say.

Narrator # 1: Paul preached to the women and shared many things about Jesus, including his death on the cross for their sins.

Lydia: I believe what you have preached here today.

All Other Ladies in Unison: We do, too!

Lydia: Would you please baptize us all?

Narrator # 2: Paul baptized Lydia, along with all the other members of her household.

Lydia: I am so excited that I now know Jesus personally. I want to follow Jesus and become more like Him. Please, come to my home.

Narrator # 3: From then on, Lydia not only practiced hospitality and had people stay in her home - but the church started meeting in her home.

Narrator # 4: Lydia's house became a center of Christian outreach and worship in Philippi.

Narrator # 5: The church grew and grew and grew. All because of one woman who was in the right place, at the right time, with the right heart, and with the right attitude.